Wednesday, May 30, 2012


Today marked the first day since installing the new larger rudder on the Hobie Rev 11 that I got out with all three methods of propulsion installed and ready to go. I left the dock under peddle power, then once out in the fairway, the sail took over. When the wind died or slackened too much for my liking, I peddled in the desired direction until the wind took over again.

This went on for the remainder of my two hour outing. Very pleasant way to pass the time and get a bit of exercise as well. The wind got rather gusty towards the end of the day and several times I had to sharply round up into the wind to avoid spilling into the water. I suspect she doesn't roll all that well with the sail up...! The new rudder provides that extra control needed to avoid sudden swims, which I don't really need as the water is still chilly in places.

I didn't use the paddle at all in the end. It was more of a security backup than a means of propulsion today. Besides, I have 'real' kayaks for paddling. Which reminds me I'd better get back into them before I lose my skills! But this Hobie is just too much fun...

No comments: