Saturday, February 23, 2008

Amusing Myself and/or Informing Others?


One of the interesting things about putting up a kayaking blog is to be able to see where one's visitors live. Until recently I could only think, "That's interesting. I've been to that place. I wonder who that person is?". I naively assumed everyone who was reading the blog was a kayaker like me, just dying to get out there and paddle.

Well, it isn't exactly like that. I'm sure many visitors - perhaps most - are paddlers and it might be fun to connect up if/when I pass through their town. However, there seem to be many other reasons for visiting my blog... Here's some I've noticed in the past few days when the following 'keywords' were typed into a Google search and led a person to me. For example "inuit hunting gear" and "inuit ice fishing". That seems fair enough. I do mention topics like those ones now and then. Then there was "what's wrong here"... Yup, straight to my site for a look... I found that odd too. "It's been a year" also led to my blog as did "cherish the morning that comes into view". Perhaps the most bizarre have been "wife briefest bikini" and "naked paddler". We know what they were after!

Now I'm getting to know my readers' desires a bit better, the question becomes, do I cater to their obvious needs, or do I selfishly continue writing for my own amusement? Time will tell, or maybe it won't...

3 comments:

Douglas Wilcox said...

Hi Michael, respice, prospice when it comes to blogging but for paddling....forward is the way to go!

:o)

Michael said...

So true, Douglas!

Kristen said...

Had to laugh when my entry "naked paddler" got the biggest number of hits...