Friday, February 22, 2008

The Golden Book


Those of us who paddle kayaks like to think we are kayakers. We train to improve our skills and techniques. We regale our friends of the trips we've made, the places we've paddled, but, in the end, what do we really know? Can we tell the kayak's story? Do we know of the kayak's birth, it's growing up, it's working life, it's near death? Or do we only know the present, it's new life in what might be called 'kayak heaven' where all things have become possible?

Harvey Golden has made it his passion to learn the story, the history of the Greenland Kayak and now he has made it his business to market a marvelous tome of stories and designs, The Kayaks of Greenland. I met Harvey and first saw his book over a year and a half ago when we were both at the Delmarva Paddlers Retreat. I knew then I would need to have his book, but for some reason I waited. I don't know why. I have no excuse, really. Now I have got over these silly inhibitions and bought the book. What a relief! I'm going to slowly go over each design, each story, each line drawing, each photo. I will probably wear a mask so I don't accidently drool. Thank you Harvey! I'm beginning to think I might become a real kayaker some day after I've read this book a few times, build a few more boats and paddle a few more hundred miles...

3 comments:

Kristen said...

It's now on the list. Thanks, Michael.

Stan Mac Kenzie said...

Interesting Michael, there are some early pictures of Inuit and kayaks at our club's Web site, at http://www.kayakers.nf.ca/

The link is under the tab seakayaking and then select,"Labrador kayak", early 1900s shots. We are in the process of making our site more user friendly and changing our logo.

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?