Thursday, May 3, 2007

Injuries and Ducks


Instead of drawing my paddle through the waters these days, I've been busy walking and today, with the arrival of better weather, I'll get my bike out. One of the reasons for all this lower body work is to strengthen my injured knee. I managed to strain some tendons in my left knee while practicing some wet exits and self-rescues. I'm not sure whether it was exiting or re-entering that caused the injury, but it was an eye-opener for me. I've never injured myself paddling before and it made me wonder what I'd have done had I been off on some solo trip somewhere. I was unaware of injuring myself until the next day when the pain set in. That's one of the reasons I haven't been posting any incredible paddling stories recently.

There has been a benefit to doing less paddling and more walking and that has been getting out more with my wife, who is an avid birder. In the picture above, we came across a blue teal duck just at dusk, on a back-road pond. I thought it was too dark for a photo, but interestingly, it ended up with some interesting colours.

1 comment:

Silbs said...

So, that's where you've been. Sorry to hear it. I am trying to figure out how one could hurt a tendon (or, more likely, a ligament) doing rescues. Are you sure you didn't hyper flex or hyper extend the knee? I recommend ice early, elevation and vitamin Ib (also sold as Advil) in big doses. Now, don't hurt your writing arm.