Wednesday, April 30, 2008

You Gotta Love Spring in Québec!


I am enjoying my second spring now that I'm back home in Québec. The trees are starting to leaf out, every brook and creek is gushing with melt water and the roads are a mess. The paved roads are cracked and broken, more suitable for off-road vehicles and the dirt roads, well, most of them look like the one in the photo above. Covered in frost heaves and mud holes. You just have to love it here!

I haven't bothered taking the kayak down to the lake yet. The road to the shore is washed out. The other put-in, the one I used all fall, is reachable, but the high water is right up to the bridge and I don't feel like portaging over it to get on the lake.

So, like I said, you just got to love living here. Every season gives us ample material to complain about, and laugh about. Oh, and did I mention the gas prices yet? $1.35 a liter and rising about as fast as the water. Like, I said, you... well, you are probably catching on by now...

5 comments:

Douglas Wilcox said...

Michael what a bargain Canadian gas is at $1.35 a litre!!!! Over here it is an average of £1.10 a litre ($2.20).

Silbs said...

Here, gas is about $3.70. Going up to Madison (80 miles one way) to teach now involves a charitable contribution. Love spring, my arse! Humbug. There, I feel better. Want to paddle :)

Richard Hayes said...

Michael, Michael, you've gotta get out of there - come to Newfoundland, where the roads are perfect, gas is just $1.30/ltr., you can launch from the car-top just about anywhere (once the ice goes out), and the givernment has such an enormous surplus that they're blowing gaskets trying to figure out how to spend it all...
I'll send more info on that option we've discussed on the Brooklyn bridge my grandfather built (and still owns) soon as I finish - I mean find - the papers....

Silbs said...

Don't believe him, Michael. I bought that bridge last year.

Richard Hayes said...

So that's where the papers went...