Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Early Snow


I know it happens every year, but to wake up to snow in the air and the beginnings of accumulation on the ground always comes with a bit of a shock. October snow happens around here and it doesn't usually stay past mid-morning, still... It is one of the those little reminders that there are things that need doing and soon. Paddling is nearly done for another year.

I'll be heading over to the boathouse later today and packing up all the gear I want to have at home for winter paddling. I'll have to decide whether to bring the kayak home or not. What if I go south to paddle during the winter months? What boat will I want to take with me? What paddle?

It's fun to think ahead to where I might end up paddling, but at the same time, it's sad to think another year of paddling is coming to a close locally. I'm often the only boat on the lake these days. In another month ice will be forming in the bays forcing us all of the lake until spring.

In the meantime, I'm going kayak/camping this weekend so I'm going through all my cold weather gear looking for warm stuff. Over the years I've accumulated a host of ideas and equipment for staying warm when it isn't. It will be fun getting into that world again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

while i love the changing fall colors I dont usually see at home, the dropping temperatures are too much for my bones! time to fly south for the winter~c