Thursday, October 22, 2009

Putting On The Gloves


I tried to take advantage of the rare sunshine yesterday, but as you can see from the photo my paddle was over-taken by a cold front moving in from the south. Rain began over night and continues on and off this morning. Not far to the north, I understand snow is falling. Winter is slowly coming our way.

The air and lake water are colder now, and I've begun wearing neoprene gloves to stay comfortable. I don't care for the loss of feel on my paddle that brings, but I care even less for freezing cold hands. In another month, I'll switch again this time into mitts and by December I'll have gloves on inside the mitts. It's all part of the routine for this ever changing time of year.

On the bright side, the lake is empty. Even the fishermen have given up and put their gear away for another year. They'll return when the ice thickens enough to allow them out with their snow-mobiles and ATVs. Meanwhile, I paddle in peace and quiet with the loons, the ducks and the geese. It's one of the best times of the year to be out paddling!

3 comments:

clairesgarden said...

there are skys and a feeling much like that here. no snow anywhere yet for some time though, I hope!!

Richard Hayes said...

What did you eventually decide on for your cold weather glove system? We're pushing a bit deeper into the season, and given that we're now using the GPs, wet hands is more of an issue...

Michael said...

Claire - yikes, even more snow this morning! I don't think it's 'climate change', it's more like 'season shuffle' where you can have any season, any time!

Rick - I tried a number of ideas, including the long fishing gloves you suggested, but found Level 6 mitts where the most practical for me. I keep a tube of 'Seamseal' handy for the inevitable leaks... The fishing gloves worked well, but quickly developed too many leaks. I probably couldn't get the heavy duty variety you have in NL...