Friday, October 2, 2009

Rocker On!

Of course it is a clear sign of indulgence owning more than one kayak. I confess to owning several, but, in my partial defense, I did make two of them from scratch, even getting the rib material from nearby woods.


While changing today I happened to glance at my newest boat and thought, 'Wow, that boat has some serious camber!' Of course that was one of the attributes that prompted me to buy it. This Maelström 'Vaag' is a play boat. It is designed with lots of rocker to enable it to turn quickly in tight quarters and it does, thanks to the rocker.


Compare this boat to my QCC 600, lying in about the same position on the dock. There's some rocker, but it isn't nearly as pronounced. Predictably, the QCC isn't as quick in the corners. It's more of a fast touring boat, which is exactly why I bought it some years ago. I didn't want to be the last boat going around Manitoulin Island, hitting the beach long after supper had been devoured! Thanks to QCC, I got to make supper most nights!

Two boats, two very different situations where each one shines. I feel they complement my paddling interests very well.

3 comments:

Silbs said...

You make a good point and you make it clearly. For those who are new to the game and wonder why there is not perfect boat, your post goes a long way in giving them clarity. Isn't there a boat out there (seriously) with a lever that actually changes the amount of rocker?

Pierre Côté said...

Isn't there a boat out there (seriously) with a lever that actually changes the amount of rocker?

Yes, there is
TRAK T-1600
http://www.rethinkkayak.com/

clairesgarden said...

wow, what a difference between the two. the rocker would make it very 'interesting' in choppy water! does it surf?