Monday, April 16, 2007

Waterproof Surf VideoCam


In my never-ending search for waterproof video recording equipment, I recently came across this item from the Oregon Scientific Company. This little camera claims to film at 30 frames per second to an SD flash card. The maximum memory allowed is 2 gigs which is adequate for about 10 minutes or so. You can strap it to your surf helmet, your arm, anywhere a hook and loop strap will work.

While this limitation means the mini-cam is not useful for making long videos, the fact that it's small, handy and easy to operate makes it ideal for taking short shots when setting up the other equipment I've mentioned here is simply too complicated. For example, if I'd had the unit during the story I told yesterday, you too could have seen the trouble I was in and enjoyed laughing at my misfortune as well!

Anyway, it's one more, reasonably priced way to get your YouTube videos filmed and online for the rest of us to enjoy. Oregon lists the camera for 129 US, but I've seen it elsewhere for as little as $99 US. The SD cards are extra.

4 comments:

Steve Weileman said...

That looks interesting; I think it would be a great complement to the system I sent you by email, especially as that system is locked in one position. This would allow you to pan around and then blend it in with the deck footage during editing. However, I did notice that the manufacture is out-of-stock.

Michael said...

It seems to always be out of stock, but I understand it can be had in a few days. I've ordered one and we'll see what happens...

Steve Weileman said...

Well then, I think I'll wait till I hear your impressions on how it works. I did notice that you could order a 2GB card with it which would give you much longer recording times.

fullmoon said...

Hmm. interesting but 10minutes is quite short. The 2GB card would add a nice length. Anyone knows the quality?