Monday, March 6, 2006

Homosassa Paddling

I arrived in this area north of Tampa yesterday. Quaint, quiet and full of interesting paddle adventures. I went out in search of the illusive manatee and finally found one in town (!) and not out in the back-country as I was expecting. I tried getting photos, but what with water glare etc, it could be anything in the water! Thankfully, there are 'Go Slow' warnings everwhere to try and protect these creatures.
Today it was more excusions into some of the many fresh water springs in the area. Clear, clear water bubbling out of the ground, which create mini-rivers, lots of fish and bird life everywhere. Saw two small alligators and a black snake with orange bars along its body sunning itself on the shore. It lay quietly allowing me to pass...
I'm beginning to wonder if there really are any dangerous animals down here! Maybe I don't really want to know...

No comments: