Friday, March 31, 2006

Installing newly shortened ribs!

In the photo below, you can see the value of owning a vast number of clamps! No kayak builder should be without lots of clamps. Beg borrow or steal as many as you can. You simply can't have enough. You never will. Never...

I tried shortening the ribs while they were still attached to the keel strip and chines, but it was too difficult to align them and have the hull depth values where I wanted them. Instead I separated them and am putting them in one by one as is usually done when building. The difference here is I'm using some templates taken off a boat I know is easy to roll - a serious 'cheater' - to help me get the hull depth values throughout the boat's length correct. When I'm all done, hopefully I'll be able to get in! It looks tight at the moment. Maybe too tight. Skin boat tight!

No comments: