Monday, December 11, 2006

I Know, I Know, I Want To Get Out Too!


The weather just hasn't been very inspiring recently, so the boats are under cover. Tomorrow looks lousy again, but I may have to go for a paddle anyway. I'm getting antsy...

Besides my Mother's medical rounds are done until January. She's over 90 and has been dealing with failing eyesight recently. I'm her taxi these days. It's a pleasure helping her. I'm so grateful for her getting me onto the planet in the first place. It's really been a terrific place to spend one's life! Thanks Mom!

In the picture are two composite kayaks, a QCC 600x I bought to paddle around Mantoulin Island because I was afraid that the yellow Boreal Design Alvik boat, which I took to Igloolik, would not keep up with a faster CD Solstice GTS which was also going on that trip. The black qajaq is the first skin-on-frame I built after listening to Maligiaq go on about skin boats while he stayed with me. The frame for the second is in the workshop waiting patiently for it's new cover... The blue boat is a Phil Bolger designed sailing dory I built years ago when my son was a baby and I discovered a person is supposed to "plant a tree, raise a child and build a boat" while on the planet Earth. I've done them all and then some others besides. I have no idea what the rest of the junk in the shed is, but I know my wife wants it gone. Gone? What if I need something?

2 comments:

Silbs said...

You are my hero and savior. Now, when my wife complains about the mere 4 boats racked and suspended ON MY SIDE OF THE GARAGE, I will show her your picture for today and hold you up as an expert. Thanks

clairesgarden said...

ah, you might need it someday. . . .
I wish I had a garage though, think of all the junk(er . . important stuff) I could shove(em I mean store carfully in there!)
kayaks versus horses/ any anwers?