Friday, December 15, 2006

Warm Weather Thinking


It set record warm weather temperatures here yesterday. My little thermometer was registering 10°C yesterday as I paddled around my usual circuit on the lake. Oddly enough, the water temperature, at the surface at least, was the same 10°C. I had expected it to be a lot colder, much closer to the freezing point. Has the week of mild temperatures warmed the water up that much? A few years ago the lake stayed open all winter. Will it remain so again this winter?


As I paddled I began to think about kayaking magasines going digital. To my knowledge, the major ones have not made that move as yet. I have been a subscriber to Popular Science magasine since the early 1970's and recently switched my subscription to their new digital version. Perhaps it will end some household clutter as well as save the odd tree here and there so my children will be able to build swings for their children someday (not to mention SOF qajait!). Hopefully the online version of Popular Science will provide all the satisfaction of the paper copy. Time will tell.

3 comments:

clairesgarden said...

nice weather you're having! its meant to be drier here this weekend, I wont get kayaking but might get to play with a horse or two hopefully.

Unknown said...

Michael,

In Life as on Water...

that shamanism to the right...

is as close as it gets to expressing the inexpressible joy of being out in a gale... or better!

You know you are on life's edge in all its stark beauty...

T

Douglas Wilcox said...

Michael, the well respected UK magazine Canoeist is now available only in the online version.

http://www.canoeist.co.uk/