Thursday, May 17, 2012


I took the Hobie Revolution 11 out for a spin on my local lake yesterday with the hopes of sailing her now that I have the optional larger rudder. The original equipment rudder is too small to prevent the kayak from rounding into the wind each time a puff of wind hits the sail. Downwind, control pretty much disappears and she tends to broach risking a knock-down. Not pleasant...!

There was lots of wind on the lake yesterday, but I decided it was more than I needed and far too gusty to experiment properly. So as the above photo reveals, I went for a peddle! This is the kayak's strong point. She responds well and moves eagerly through the water, even facing the wind. As well the peddle action is comfortable and leaves the hands free to film, sip water, eat lunch, whatever.



Going downwind, I was hoping she would surf the waves, but try as I might it was difficult to grab a crest and ride. She just isn't fast enough, although it's also likely the fin drive provides too much underwater drag. I'll have to try it next time with the fins removed and the hole plug installed.

Finally, I used my Greenland style paddle yesterday instead of the Hobie one. I'm much more accustomed to the Greenland stick and found it much easier paddling. Oddly, the Hobie paddle felt 'sticky' in the water, especially when releasing it. Strange feeling, but true. Other's will probably not have the same experience.

I'm still waiting to try the sail rig. Hopefully the winds will be in my favour soon!

No comments: