Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Snowshoe Mountain - The Video



Living in a cyber-world which hangs by a slender wire from the larger world beyond my doorstep is not my idea of fun, but there are a few tradeoffs. For one I can ski and snowshoe from my front steps and be in the wilderness within seconds. I don't have to put up with traffic or annoying neighbours. Well, you get the picture. It's pretty tranquil and bucolic around here and, I suppose, that's why some people are giving up their party-line phones for touch-tones. Internet, of course, is strictly dial-up and as it is everywhere, no matter what kind of service you have, expensive.

I like the idea of 'the information highway' and like all highways, feel it should be state supported and maintained. Of course, it isn't and so we end up with a patchwork system which is good in some places and non-existent in others. Thankfully, I don't live in Canada's arctic where taking a trip can run you a second mortgage. Imagine doing that a couple times a year!

All of this to say, I've finally managed to upload my 'short' video to Vimeo. I sneaked into my brother's house in town and logged on to his hi-speed. Instead of a multi-hour upload, the deed was done in 6 minutes. Now the world can enjoy my backyard in much the same way as I do. Well, almost. It's not really my backyard. It's an hour's trip on a real state built highway.

2 comments:

Stan Mac Kenzie said...

Simply Beautiful!!

Rob said...

Loved the video - thanks.