Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Return to Igloolik

Twenty-eight years after leaving Igloolik on the Nauja with a dream in my head, I was finally on my way back, by boat, just like I'd promised myself. For years, I believed the way to return was in a sailboat and I eventually bought a sailboat with that trip in mind. However the dream began to fade as the more I learned about 'big boat' sailing and the conditions I would face, the more I realised I wasn't going to make it. Financially, it was beyond my reach. I'd need a much more sea-worthy craft. Then I discovered kayaking and the dream returned. This time, I knew I would succeed.


I flew from Montreal and camped in Hall Beach, my point of departure, I was ready to launch my dream in the morning...


About thirty kilometers along the coast, I stopped for lunch and took my bearings for the offshore passage I would have to make to reach the mysterious Ooglit Islands. They were about 15 kilometers out, somewhere out there beyond the horizon waiting for me. The weather was perfectly calm, but I was nervous anyway...


As I left the safety of the shore behind, I slowly paddled into a bizarre world without clear horizons, an enormous bowl where ice and clouds floated above and below. Ice mirages came and went. I began to lose confidence, but I kept paddling onward, hoping I was going to be alright.


Finally, something real popped up out of the fog and mirages. The Ooglit were just ahead. I'd made it to my first objective! It was nearly midnight when I pulled the kayak up the beach.

To be continued tomorrow...

2 comments:

clairesgarden said...

makes me want to jump in a boat right now!!
fabuous pictures, it looks kind of lonely though!

Silbs said...

There is nothing so wonderful as seeing land after an open water pasage...unless it is stepping back onto shore.