Thursday, January 22, 2009

Going In Circles


One of the wonderful things about living in a winter climate is the wonderful light at certain times of the day. The low sun angle pours out the pinks and purples making everything rosy and somehow warm.

I remember years ago going clothes shopping with an Inuk girl friend in Ottawa and being bothered that she kept picking out pink and purple clothes to try on. I didn't think those were her colours, but later after spending time living in the arctic, I came to understand her choices. She wasn't choosing those colours because she looked good. She was choosing fond memories and fighting off homesickness. She was tending to her feelings of being far from home, living in a foreign culture, and speaking a language not her own. Today I look at those colours in the landscape and I miss the arctic light, the people and the sound of a language far away. Our memories come full circle.

No comments: