Friday, November 16, 2007

Bergs on My Lake?


Imagine my surprise to discover yesterday that I have 'ice' bergs on my lake! Not big ones, mind you, but a fair number of bergy bits seem to be floating out there...

Thankfully, I thought, I was not in my 'skin-on-frame'. There was probably skim ice out there as well, just waiting to slice through the kayak's canvas covering. I have a friend who suffered that fate once, right in the busy port of Montreal. The results were quite dramatic! He has since begun building stitch-and-glue epoxed plywood boats for his winter paddling.

I approached the 'ice' with caution. Then with a bust of speed, I charged the nearest berg, blasting it in two. It was made of foam! It turned out the foam bergs were being created in the rapids of a small brooke which enters the lake nearby.

81/100

2 comments:

Richard Hayes said...

I've got pix of a certain someone eyeing a little ole bergy bit just off Sailor's Island with a dangerous glint in his eye...

Silbs said...

So, how do the Inuit deal with the ice in their SOFs? Is the seal skin much tougher than canvas, nylon, etc.?