Saturday, September 29, 2007

Nearly There

Here she is, all white and pretty in her brand new skin! The first coat of paint is white, but the remaining coats will have a brownish tint in it to simulate a sealskin colour. I'm using a alkyd polyurethane industrial paint. It looks like it should bear up to most of the beach gravels around here!

My fingers are recovering. It's the sewing and the tightening of the thread that does the damage. I'd forgotten how nasty putting on the cockpit coaming can be on the hands as well, but I came away with only minor wounds. I'll live another day or two, perhaps even get to bounce my grandchildren...











I'm still plugging away at my challenge to paddle every day for 100 days. The weather has been awesome and really helped me get so many days in back-to-back so far. The experience has been interesting and I've learned a number of things about the lake and myself which have been good to know. For example, I've come to know the lakes moods more at different times of the day. I have had a bad knee for several months, but the 75 stairs down and back up from the boathouse have done wonders to bring the knee back to its old self. Exercise, exercise...

35/100

3 comments:

Silbs said...

I envy the seam you have which looks midline. You've obviously done it before and the workmanship shows. Enjoy.

clairesgarden said...

it looks fabulous, I'm very impressed!!
not entirely sure what a noodle is and how would you use it to move a boat?

Michael said...

Claire - pool noodles are long tubes of closed cell foam sold usually to children as toys to play with in swimming pools as, of course, they float. About 2 meters long, they can also be used for a variety of other things. Perhaps there's a gardening use as well!