Monday, October 29, 2007

How's It Going, Partner?

I've just finished reading a book I picked up on the way home from my recent trip into the good ole USA. It's by Jill Fredston and called Rowing to Latitude. Like me she has had a passionate attachment for wilderness tripping, especially in the arctic environment. Unlike me, she and her husband partner have paddled just about everywhere one can imagine going in Alaska, Greenland and Norway.

In these days of finding - and keeping - like-minded paddling partners, Jill and Doug Fesler have much to teach us. These two slowly took the time to learn each others' gives and takes before and during their paddling adventures. It also seems that the landscapes they absorbed as they paddled were not just the visual ones they saw with their eyes and heard with their ears, but also the mental ones that formed in their minds. As one reads the stories in the book, the overwhelming message is one of shared experiences, respect for partnership, of caring, loving and the joy of simply being. The book is a good read on many, many levels. My kind of book!

63/100

2 comments:

SandyBottom said...

One of my favorite books.

Kristen said...

Aha, another one to add to the list. Thanks, Michael.